Salicylates

Salicylates

Salicylates

The only folks who need to worry about Salicylates are those who are allergic for some reason, and those of us on the Guaifenesin Protocol.

My website and these pages are for those on the Guaifenesin Protocol, so please note that some things will have salicylates in them, but usually in smaller amounts so as to not block the Guaifenesin from working 🙂

Salicylates are in herbs, veggies and fruits, and these things are a healthy part of our diets. Please don’t stop eating them! We do NOT need to worry about eating or handling food on the Guaifenesin Protocol 🙂

Click here for FAQ on Salicylates

We DO need to be careful how MUCH though. If you are canning, and handling bushel-fulls of veggies and fruits, then yes! Please wear gloves! If you have concentrated herbal medications or drinks and tea, those have too much salicylates in them and will block your Guaifenesin. Please do not ingest them.

You DO need to replace all your beauty products: shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, hand dish soap, razors, DO, shaving cream, toothpaste, mouth wash, etc. You need all these products without Salicylates in them. They WILL block your Guaifenesin from working. I have some links that will help you with this process, see below:

Click HOW-TO find your own Salicylate free products.

Click HOW TO make your own Salicylate free products

Click Link to see a list of Ingredients that are Salicylate free

Click here for the Sal-free Quick Check list.

Below is a detailed explanation why by Dr St Amand:

To ignore the following guarantees failure: aspirin and other sources of salicylate block the action of guaifenesin at the same kidney level as uricosuric medications.  Salicylates are present in many pain medications such as aspirin and those for some forms of colitis.  Almost all plant species have substantial levels of the natural chemical. Quantities vary from crop to crop and are stored to fend off infections and to help heal injuries. Salicylates are readily absorbed through intact skin as well as the thin membranes of the mouth and intestine. Products used topically or as medications should be thoroughly inspected for ingredients including synthetic forms such as octisalate in sunscreens.  A person’s genetic makeup determines susceptibility to blocking. Nevertheless to assure success, everyone should adhere to the protocol and make no modifications.

No diet is required for fibromyalgia: the liver has a certain but limited capacity to counter food salicylates. It cannot however override excesses derived from plant concentrates obtained from juicing or in herbal medications.

The following is an incomplete guide to sources of natural and synthetic salicylates:

MEDICATIONS: (1.) Pain relievers containing salicylate or salicylic acid, for example, aspirin, Salflex, Anacin, Excedrin, Disalcid.  (2.) Herbal medications such as St. John’s Wort, gingko biloba, saw palmetto, evening primrose oil, Echinacea. Vitamins with rose hips, bioflavonoids (quercetin, hesperiden or rutin) or plant extracts such as alfalfa. (3.) Some wart or callus removers, acne products and dandruff shampoos contain salicylic acid. (4.) Topical pain creams such as Tiger Balm, Ben Gay, Myoflex, Zostrix, and Capsaicin. (5.) Medications such as Pepto Bismol, Asacol, Alka Seltzer and Urised.

COSMETIC AND TOPICAL PRODUCTS  (1.) Skin cleansers (exfoliants) that use salicylic acid or witch hazel. (2.) Hair products with plant extracts such as balsam or bisabol. (3.) Bubble baths with essential oils such as lavender. (4.) Watch for the letters ‘SAL’ in sunscreens: octisalate, homosalate, or the name meradimate (5.) Lip balms containing camphor or menthol.    (6.) Lipsticks, glosses and deodorants should be checked for castor oil. (7.)  When gardening wear waterproof gloves, avoid barefoot contact with freshly cut grass. (8.) Avoid tissue or wipes containing aloe. (9.) Shaving creams with aloe or menthol will block. (10.) Do not use razors with aloe strips (Vitamin E, lanolin, and baby Oil are acceptable.) (11.) Moisturizers with oils such as almond, extracts such as green tea, or gels such as arnica.

ORAL AGENTS: (1.) Most mouth washes contain mint, wintergreen or salicylate (Listerine). (2.) Toothpastes contain salicylates, as well as fresh or synthetic mint, often unlisted. Use non mint toothpastes made by Tom’s of Maine, Cleure (Grace FibroSmile)   or Personal Basics. Baking soda and/or peroxide also provide good cleansing and whitening.  The non-mint pre-brushing rinses are acceptable as are the Cleure mouthwashes; (3.) Avoid lozenges, floss, breath fresheners or chewing gum with mint flavor (menthol, wintergreen, peppermint or spearmint). (Strong fruit and/Cinnamon flavors may mask unlisted mint)

YOU MUST TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PROTOCOL. PHYSICIANS ARE NOT TRAINED TO RECOGNIZE SALICYLATE-CONTAINING INGREDIENTS. If you fail, you will convince your doctor guaifenesin does not work and the opportunity to help other fibromyalgics will be lost. Dictionaries can help you identify products. Get the full list of ingredients when you phone manufacturers because customer service employees will not know that plants make salicylates. Our website www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com  connects you with a knowledgeable support group that will help you with questions.  The site www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com/board  keeps updated listings of safe products, new information and various papers on the topic of fibromyalgia.

16 Responses to Salicylates

1. Anonymous says:

Is Enjoy shampoo okay to use?

Hello Anonymous 🙂
      What ingredients are you wondering about in this shampoo? There isn’t much I can do to help you without an ingredient list! Every time a company makes another shipment of a product, the ingredients can change, so it’s very important to check the ingredients of the exact bottle that you buy. 🙂

2. Hi Christine,
    Can I drink Green Tea?

Hey Debbie 🙂 All teas have too much salicylates in them if you are going sal-free! They used to say you can have a little of weak tea, but so many people have blocked on tea that now, no tea is allowed. Expect to block your guaifenesin if you drink tea! sorry! Try steeping some frozen fruit in boiling water, or use 1 tsp of lemon juice with some sweetener. Or heat up milk and sweeten and flavor with vanilla or almond, etc. There are alot of safe options out there! 🙂

3. Denise says:

How about coffee? That could be the hardest one for me.
    Thanks for the help.

Hi Denise 🙂
      Good news for you! Coffee is fine to drink Denise! Are you smearing it on your body or something? lol because the only stuff you have to worry about that you ingest are plant stuff in mg amounts or mint or tea 🙂
      I covered coffee in my FAQ list and you will find alot of your questions answered there, they are all in alphabetical order and everything 🙂

4. Katherine Richardson says:

Hi Christine,
    I am new to the Sal free lifestyle…I’m currently taking 100mg of Lyrica nightly to help control my Fybo symptoms (been on it for about 6 months). My goal is to be off it completely soon 🙂 I am heading into week 2 and I am looking around for a supporting cleanse diet that works with the sal free one. I have used the Metagenics products in the past but when I looked at the ingredients it had olive oil(and possibly others- stopped reading once I saw that). Do you know of any cleanse diets (with supplementation) that I could use. I have searched and searched the net unsuccessfully. So I thought I would reach out to someone clearly very knowledgable about this protocol. I’m feeling like a liver cleanse would be an additional good thing right now! Thanks for any help 🙂
    Regards, Katherine

Hi Katherine 🙂
      Are you on the Guaifenesin Protocol too to reverse your fibro symptoms, or just staying away from Salicylates? The info I post here is all for the purposes of the Guaifenesin Protocol, so if you are staying away from sals for some other reason it might be different info you are looking for.

What is your cleanse for? On the Guaifenesin Protocol, cleanse diets are not necessary, unless you have some other heath condition that your doctor is treating with this cleanse. I used to do tons of them before I started on the protocol too, just trying to find something that would make me feel better. I haven’t even thought of that kind of thing in a couple years, just don’t need it anymore 🙂

If you are constipated, take some magnesium citrate, that will totally take care of that. If you are treating IBS, or digestive issues, try the HG diet, it totally took care of all that for me 😉

I look forward to hearing back from you on this! Hope I can help 🙂

5. Jennifer says:

I am about to start the Guafinasin protocol tomorrow and I’ve seen conflicting info on sodas. I only drink 1 a day but if I need to stop all together I will (but I would love to keep my Dr. pepper) thanks for the great info.

Hi Jennifer 🙂 So excited about you starting the protocol today! What guaifenesin are you taking? Did you read/listen to the book by Dr St Amand already and get all your sal products switched to sal free ones? Just want to help make sure you are doing this right and don’t miss any of the important steps to get you well again! 🙂

Soda is fine on the guaifenesin protocol, it wont block the guaifenesin from working to reverse your fibro symptoms, but if you need the HG diet, soda will make you feel pretty awful! I can’t have soda because of the sugar in there, but I know some people who are HG drink sugar free sodas and do fine with them 🙂 Hope that helps!