Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe (Hypoglycemia Diet Lib and Strict)
Stroganoff from Scratch (sugar free, low carb)
This is from scratch and oh, so simple! and as always, YUMMMM! 🙂 🙂 The secret is in the mushroom water and the lemon juice! You CAN substitute out the mushroom water, but you will loose some of your flavor! Check the tips at the bottom for suggestions on this. =)
Prep Time: 2 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
2 lbs gr beef
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large onion or 2 med size onions (Cut out onions for HG Strict)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup Mixed Dried mushrooms, broken to pieces, soaked in 2 cups boiling water (for 25 mins)
Water from soaked mushrooms
1 cup sour cream
- First thing to do is get your mushrooms soaking in boiling water! That is the part that takes the longest!!
- Heat large frying pan on high with butter, and brown ground beef. (The process of making the beef BROWN is where you get a lot of flavor.) This just requires some patience, you will feel the need to stir the meat long before it actually goes brown, resist the urge!!! =)
- Once brown, add your spices, onion and garlic. Saute till just done.
- Add lemon juice, mushrooms, mushroom water and stock. Let this simmer about 10 minutes, letting some of the water evaporate.
- When there is only a little water left in your pan, remove from heat, and stir in your sour cream and leave in pan for 2 minutes. Don’t worry, there is enough heat in your mixture and pan to warm up the sour cream sufficiently. If your heat is still on, you can curdle your sour cream!
Tip: for HG Strict, cut out the onions and add 1 Tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce.
Tip: you CAN use mushrooms in a can and use the water from the can. If you use fresh mushrooms, use double the amount of chicken stock and add double the salt, garlic powder and onion powder. But for me, nothing compares with this amazing mixed dried mushrooms I found at Costco! It makes soups and sauces SO delicious! 🙂
Tip: It is MUCH easier to break the dried mushroom pieces prior to soaking them! believe me, I tried it the other way around… MUCH more work!! lol ;D
Tip: I served this with steamed carrots and salad. very yummy!
This entry was posted in Recipes
and tagged Main Dishes
, Mushroom Stroganoff
. Bookmark the permalink