Steps to finding your correct Guaifenesin Dosage for the Protocol

As per the instructions from Dr St Amand, please do NOT take Guai Aid, cough syrop or other Fast Acting Guaifenesin to begin your protocol, unless under the direct supervision of Dr St Amand, Dr Melissa Congdon, or Victoria Mauck in Hawaii. These types of guaifenesin are NOT ideal and only a last resort.

And please, do NOT chew your guaifenesin, this will have the same reaction as the Fast Acting/ Immediate Release guaifenesin.

The correct protocol is as follows (in short):

1. Read the book by Dr St Amand called What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia.

2. replace all your sal-full products and anything that touches your skin with Salicylate Free products. Click this link for getting started on this: http://christinescozycorner.ca/about-salicylates/how-to-find-salicylate-free-products/

3. begin a Symptom Journal and/or get mapped by someone who KNOWS the protocol.

3.a Find the correct Guaifenesin to take for the protocol.

4. Take 300mg LONG ACTING pure single ingredient Guaifenesin twice a day (bid) for one week. At this point, checkΒ  your journal to see if your symptoms have begun to come and go and you have noticed an INCREASE in symptoms. If so, stay at this dose for one month. Then get mapped to see if left thigh is clear and/or check your journal to be sure your increase of symptoms was consistent.Β  IF your symptoms are just like a normal fibro flare, you are likely not clearing. If you are still unsure, you can double your dose and see if it SLAMS you, then you will know your clearing dose is 300mg bid. Remember, you are supposed to have a MANAGEABLE increase in symptoms! Approx 18% will clear at this dose.

Here is some of what the book will tell you about how it feels to find your clearing dose:

“If you’re already tired, you may become exhausted; if you ache, you’ll hurt more. Symptoms that were mild or barely noticeable will suddenly demand your attention.” “you will notice an exacerbation of symptoms…” These are from pg 168 from the book.

Now, if this isΒ  you, skip steps 5 and 6.

If you are not being mapped, you will likely need some help figuring out your dose, feel free to contact me and/or join our friendly online Facebook support group πŸ™‚

If, after your first week at 300mg bid you do not feel any different, go on to step 5. (Approx 80% will clear at this dose.)

5. Take 600mg LONG ACTING pure single ingredient Guaifenesin bid (twice a day) for one month. At this point, checkΒ  your journal to see if your symptoms have begun to come and go and you have noticed an increase in symptoms. OR get mapped to see if left thigh is clear. If not, go to step 6. (Approx 80% will clear at this dose.)

6. At this point, there are few who need to increase their dose, so please re-check ALL your products and everything that touches your skin, make sure it’s all salicylate free! If you are certain you aren’t blocking, begin to Titrate up your dose by 300mg a day taking only upto 2400mg total a day. Keep using your journal and/or map to find your dosage.

If you have questions and don’t understand something we have said, you can join our friendly online Facebook support group πŸ™‚ and/or check out the guaigroup email digest that is run by Claudia (co-author of the book with Dr St Amand). She is your final authority on all things Guaifenesin protocol.Β  Here is a link to signing up with the guaigroup thanks to Sabrina: https://www.facebook.com/notes/fibromyalgia-canada/ instructions-to-subscribe-to-the-free-guaigroup-for-support-on-the-guaifenesin-p/288378221262489

Let me know if you have trouble getting onto the guaigroup digest! email me at christineshomemadecreations@ymail.com πŸ™‚

Click here for more info on the different Guaifenesins, it totally makes a difference!!

If you are using Mucinex, please note the 100mg Fast Acting layer on the pill, that leaves only 500mg LA. Please also note that you will have to cut your pill in half for the first week to get your 300mg bid dosage. If you are not clearing at 300mg bid, you will need to take 3 Mucinex a day (1 600mg pill in am or pm and 2 600mg pills 12 hours later)Β  to properly clear at the 600mg long acting bid. Mucinex also can mimic clearing, because of the FA layer! 25% do not clear using Mucinex, just to warn you! It is NOT our preferred choice of Guaifenesin!

Click this link to see the list of:Β  FAQ about Salicylates etc πŸ™‚

About Christine

I'm a bit of a health nut and not ashamed of it! God, family and Missions are huge passions and driving forces in my life. I have had fibromyalgia for most of my life and am in the process of a treatment that is gonna give me my life back! Join me in my journey to wellness, make some new friends and maybe encourage someone else along the way!
This entry was posted in me and fibromyalgia, Salicylates and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Steps to finding your correct Guaifenesin Dosage for the Protocol

1. Teresa says:

Thank you for this. I was overloading on guai and come to find out I’m a low doser. I still have problem understanding when I’m going through a flare or cycling. Thank you for posting this. Will keep referring to it. By the way, I started the protocol last month. πŸ™‚

2. Rebecca Campbell says:

Chrisitne I dont understand the above statment about the MDR 300mg not being LA and having to take it 3 times daily to be covered. I was told by Claudia it was LA but the 400mg was short acting.Have I been doing it wrong then???? I now take 1 300mg capsule am and pm. Please let me know. Thanks Rebecca Campbell

Hey Rebecca πŸ™‚ Thanks for the comment! πŸ™‚
      If you are being treated by Dr St Amand and Claudia, just ignore what I say and listen to them!!!
      The reason I suggest not using Mucinex, is for those who are not being mapped and rely solely on their journals for finding their dosing. Mucinex has a FA or Short Acting layer on it that can mimic clearing because it can make you have the symptom increase that we are looking for to determine your clearing dose. I suggest the Generic (Perrigo) Guaifenesin.
      If you are taking Mucinex, Dr St Amand has been telling people lately to take an extra guai to make up for the FA layer. The FA layer is 100mg per pill and 500mg LA per pill. So you aren’t actually getting the full 600mg of LA that you need. Does that make sense?
      Once again though, if you are being treated by Dr St Amand or Dr Congdon, they will tell you if or when you need to change or increase your guai, so totally ignore my comments if they are your doctors!! πŸ™‚

• Rebecca says:

No they are not treating me, just posted about the doses in the beginning and Claudia answered my questions. My question to you was not about Mucinex it was about the MDR 300mg capsules, which I was told is long acting and the MDR 400 mg capsules are short acting. Did I miss read your post about the MDR 300mg needing to be taken three times daily to be covered for 24 hours?? Kinda confused. Thanks christine for ALL you do. GBU Rebecca

I find that the MDR dosn’t quite cover the full 12 hours that it is supposed to, but does work for finding your clearing dose… That does sound confusing lol πŸ™‚ I used MDR to find my clearing dose but am using another guai to clear faster.

You will be fine on the MDR, so no worries! If you turn out to be a low doser though, you will feel much better on the generic in my opinion.

For us low dosers, when the guai starts to wear off befroe the 12 hours are up, we feel so yucky, and then when I take the MDR, it FEELS like the FA because it’s not AS long acting as the tabs used to be. So for me, the MDR is a little rougher to live with, but 80% of you will do just fine with the MDR πŸ™‚

3. Anonymous says:

Where do I find it Perrigo=== generic??? or what do I BUY_

hello there! πŸ™‚

if you are taking guaifenesin for your fibromyalgia, the only way it works is to do the whole protocol outlined in Dr St Amand’s book called ‘What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia’. have you read that yet? it totally explains everything! πŸ™‚

If you go to the top of my page, under the Guaifenesin tab, I have a ‘What is it’ file where I give a short summary. have you checked that out?

I just want to make sure you are going to actually get WELL on the guaifenesin, and the only way to do that is to do the whole protocol πŸ™‚

4. robin marran says:

I just found the protocol. I have donated my left kidney to my father 12 years ago. I have had fibro for over 5 years now. To find out about this is hopefully going to be life changing. I went to CVS and got the Mucinex that you drink until I get my package that I ordered along with the book too.I am trying to find someone to do the mapping my progress but having a hard time.. I don’t know how to find someone in the Tampa Bay Area. Thank you for all of the information. I look forward to all the information on the group site. I just sent a request. Thank you again for this forum

Hi Robin! πŸ™‚ SO excited you found the protocol!!!! It changed my life and gave me HOPE again, which is just so so huge! you are so amazing for donating one of your kidneys! <3

and YAY about the book! you're so gonna LOVE it! have some Kleenex handy, it totally made me cry with just the hope and relief that there IS answers out there πŸ™‚

Don't take the liquid Mucinex stuff, that has so much other crappy stuff in there that will make you sick, you need the pure Guaifenesin pills. There is a whole protocol that you need to do to get this right, so hang in there and BREATHE! πŸ™‚

What can you do right now as you wait? Get started on a symptom journal. This will help you to map your symptoms from one day to the next, one week to the next, one month to the next, etc.

What package did you order along with the book? From Fibro Pharmacy or Andrea Rose? They have an awesome starter package with salicylate free topical stuff to get you started πŸ™‚

5. Alexandre Iervolino says:

Hi Christine! Thank you so much for the valuable informations you’re sharing. My girlfriend have fibromyalgia and I’m doing my best to help her. We live in Brazil and I can say I found almost nothing helpful in the books and websites in our language, so I decided to search in english literature. I read Dt St Amand’s book and now we’re on process of eliminating all salicylates. I found your website searching for informations about some products to check for salicylates, and again, thank you! I ordered Guaifenesin from Fibropharmacy (I can’t find guaifenesin in capsules here in Brazil) and we are looking forward to begin the treatment. As far as I know, there’s no doctors here in Brazil who follow the protocol, so mapping is difficult. I intend to spread the word about guaifenesin because there are many people here who suffer from this disease here and the only advice they have is about drugs, antidepressants, etc.

Hi Alexandre! I have many friends from Brazil from my time living in Africa! lol! THe world just gets smaller and smaller! πŸ˜€
      I am so glad to hear you have read Dr St Amand’s book! Read and re-read till you are familiar and comfortable with his info, it will really be such a help to you! Oh- and awesome that you got your Guaifenesin from Fibro Pharmacy!

And yep, there are no mappers in Brazil that I know of. Have you joined my Facebook FIbro Buddies on Guaifenesin Protocol group yet? Very helpful group and you will likely find some others from Brazil that might be able to give you some tips and help you find sal-free products too πŸ™‚ Here’s the link for that: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Fibro.Buddies.Guaifenesin.Protocol/