Steps to finding your correct Guaifenesin Dosage for the Protocol

As per the instructions from Dr St Amand, please do NOT take Guai Aid, cough syrop or other Fast Acting Guaifenesin to begin your protocol, unless under the direct supervision of Dr St Amand, Dr Melissa Congdon, or Victoria Mauck in Hawaii. These types of guaifenesin are NOT ideal and only a last resort.

And please, do NOT chew your guaifenesin, this will have the same reaction as the Fast Acting/ Immediate Release guaifenesin.

The correct protocol is as follows (in short):

1. Read the book by Dr St Amand called What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia.

2. replace all your sal-full products and anything that touches your skin with Salicylate Free products. Click this link for getting started on this: http://christinescozycorner.ca/about-salicylates/how-to-find-salicylate-free-products/

3. begin a Symptom Journal and/or get mapped by someone who KNOWS the protocol.

3.a Find the correct Guaifenesin to take for the protocol.

4. Take 300mg LONG ACTING pure single ingredient Guaifenesin twice a day (bid) for one week. At this point, checkย  your journal to see if your symptoms have begun to come and go and you have noticed an INCREASE in symptoms. If so, stay at this dose for one month. Then get mapped to see if left thigh is clear and/or check your journal to be sure your increase of symptoms was consistent.ย  IF your symptoms are just like a normal fibro flare, you are likely not clearing. If you are still unsure, you can double your dose and see if it SLAMS you, then you will know your clearing dose is 300mg bid. Remember, you are supposed to have a MANAGEABLE increase in symptoms! Approx 18% will clear at this dose.

Here is some of what the book will tell you about how it feels to find your clearing dose:

“If you’re already tired, you may become exhausted; if you ache, you’ll hurt more. Symptoms that were mild or barely noticeable will suddenly demand your attention.” “you will notice an exacerbation of symptoms…” These are from pg 168 from the book.

Now, if this isย  you, skip steps 5 and 6.

If you are not being mapped, you will likely need some help figuring out your dose, feel free to contact me and/or join our friendly online Facebook support group ๐Ÿ™‚

If, after your first week at 300mg bid you do not feel any different, go on to step 5. (Approx 80% will clear at this dose.)

5. Take 600mg LONG ACTING pure single ingredient Guaifenesin bid (twice a day) for one month. At this point, checkย  your journal to see if your symptoms have begun to come and go and you have noticed an increase in symptoms. OR get mapped to see if left thigh is clear. If not, go to step 6. (Approx 80% will clear at this dose.)

6. At this point, there are few who need to increase their dose, so please re-check ALL your products and everything that touches your skin, make sure it’s all salicylate free! If you are certain you aren’t blocking, begin to Titrate up your dose by 300mg a day taking only upto 2400mg total a day. Keep using your journal and/or map to find your dosage.

If you have questions and don’t understand something we have said, you can join our friendly online Facebook support group ๐Ÿ™‚ and/or check out the guaigroup email digest that is run by Claudia (co-author of the book with Dr St Amand). She is your final authority on all things Guaifenesin protocol.ย  Here is a link to signing up with the guaigroup thanks to Sabrina: https://www.facebook.com/notes/fibromyalgia-canada/ instructions-to-subscribe-to-the-free-guaigroup-for-support-on-the-guaifenesin-p/288378221262489

Let me know if you have trouble getting onto the guaigroup digest! email me at christineshomemadecreations@ymail.com ๐Ÿ™‚

Click here for more info on the different Guaifenesins, it totally makes a difference!!

If you are using Mucinex, please note the 100mg Fast Acting layer on the pill, that leaves only 500mg LA. Please also note that you will have to cut your pill in half for the first week to get your 300mg bid dosage. If you are not clearing at 300mg bid, you will need to take 3 Mucinex a day (1 600mg pill in am or pm and 2 600mg pills 12 hours later)ย  to properly clear at the 600mg long acting bid. Mucinex also can mimic clearing, because of the FA layer! 25% do not clear using Mucinex, just to warn you! It is NOT our preferred choice of Guaifenesin!

Click this link to see the list of:ย  FAQ about Salicylates etc ๐Ÿ™‚

About Christine

I'm a bit of a health nut and not ashamed of it! God, family and Missions are huge passions and driving forces in my life. I have had fibromyalgia for most of my life and am in the process of a treatment that is gonna give me my life back! Join me in my journey to wellness, make some new friends and maybe encourage someone else along the way!
This entry was posted in me and fibromyalgia, Salicylates and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Steps to finding your correct Guaifenesin Dosage for the Protocol

1. Teresa Mendham says:

Hi Christine
    I am on the brink of starting the protocol. I’ve had fibro and IBS since 2007- fairly under control but just had massive flare up of both. I want my life back! I have read the book but am confused about which type and the quantity of guai to begin on?
    I am from the UK and cannot seem to buy guai tablets here so will need to import from US. Got made redundant March 2015 after mix of Lynphoma/fibro/IBS and emotional effects of 5 deaths of immediate family and 1 work colleague of 16 years from sudden lung cancer. Work one day part time on little money as don’t feel able to work full time for foreseeable future – so buying guai needs to be as cheap as possible? Don’t think doctor will support with mapping, will try my massage therapist!
    Kindest regards
    Teresa

Hi Teresa!

I feel for you and your situation, it is sadly too common. I am sorry about the deaths in your family, that is so hard ๐Ÿ™ And it can make your fibro flare up pretty bad too. stress does terrible things to someone with fibro. So make sure to take lots of rests and soak in epsom salt bath everyday.

Here’s some good news for you: We have several people from the UK on the guaifenesin protocol in our Support group! I can let you in next week and you should be able to touch base with some of them. You aren’t alone, they will be able to help you figure this out over there.

MANY people do the protocol successfully with no mapper, but finding someone who is willing to help you with that will be a big encouragement and support for you. Massage therapists often help our members with this. Just remember that with massage, it needs to be gentle, not deep, painful massage, that will actually make you flare! Hang in there, you can do this! And so excited that you read the book! Now is time for you to start looking for topical products that are salicylate free.

Once you get your guai, you need to start on 300mg twice a day for one week. If you notice an increase in symptoms during that week, you stay there for a month, continuing to do your symptom journal everyday. Usually, when people notice an increase in symptoms that first week, they don’t need to increase their dose at all. It’s called being a Low Dose, Fast Responder.

2. Paula Roffman says:

Hi Christine. I started the protocol a week ago wir mucinex because that was all I could find initially. I took 1/2 of a 600mg LA multilayered oil twice a day for a few days and no effect so I increased it to 1/2 tab three times a day and the syptoms have gotten proessively more intense. My whole body is in pain and the fatigue is oronounced. I will be seeing Dr Congdon next Wednesday March 16th, but in the meantime would you suggest that I cut back to twice a day? I work full time and i am struggling due to the pain and difficulty focusing. Any advice would be appreciated

Hi Paula! Sorry it’s such a rough start, I know all about that being a low-doser! Have you read the book by Dr St Amand yet? Are you salicylate free with all your dental products, topical products and supplements?

The Mucinex is a REALLY tough one to use. There are several reasons for this: there is a 25% rate of failure to clear using Mucinex, AND with the 100mg FA layer on it, you only get 500mg LA. The FA layer makes it difficult to find your clearing dose because it hits the body hard and fast and can mimic cycling. Many people also struggle with the blue dye that is in it, causing you to not clear at all but still FEEL awful. ๐Ÿ™

If you can get some ER (Extended Release) only guai. Like the generic brand. Or MDR guai it will do you a world of good and really help you to find your dose! I think you will find less intense symptoms on this type of guai. Here’s a link to more info on the guaifenesins: http://christinescozycorner.ca/types-of-guaifenesin-for-the-protocol/

But if you are determined to use the Mucinex, here’s what you do: Stay at 1/2 a pill twice a day for a full week. At the end of that week, increase to 1/2 a pill 3 times a day (as you have done.) With all other Guaifenesins you would rely on your symptoms journal to help you find your dose, but with Mucinex. it is so complicated because of that FA layer and the Blue Dye. You need the higher dose, so that you get the full 300mg twice a day of the ER guai.

If you are going to see Dr Congdon, she will totally help you with this too ๐Ÿ™‚ If you are cutting corners because of money, I suggest waiting till you’ve been on what you think is your clearing dose for a month, to see if you’ve cleared your left thigh, indicating that you have found your dose and you don’t have to increase anymore. THEN you go see her to get that confirmation from her. I just say this because I help people from all over the world who travel to see her and it is certainly cheaper if you can go just once! ๐Ÿ™‚

Keep in touch and let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with <3

3. Anonymous says:

Hi Christine, I can’t access the link to the Guai group email digest, it says it’s unavailable, any ideas? Thank you ๐Ÿ˜€

4. Carol says:

Hi: ๐Ÿ˜Š Where would I get guai that is extended release with out blue dye ? Thank you