Sugar free pineapple upside down cake Recipe (NOT HG Diet)

My sugar free Pineapple Upside Down cake

In lieu of Tim’s birthday yesterday, I thought it fitting to share this favorite recipe of my husbands =) he has asked for it every year since we got married a whopping 4 years ago, and in fear and trepidation, I made it sugar free, and success!! It worked! =) This one is from a couple recipes I found and liked, tweaked and made into pineapple upside down cake. YUMMMM!

PLEASE NOTE that this recipe is NOT Hypoglycemia Diet friendly!! Only try this AFTER you have done the diet perfectly for 2 months, and be cautious about your serving size! It’s sugar free, so that makes it better than a regular birthday cake, and it’s ONCE A YEAR! πŸ˜€

Prep Time: 15 mins
Bake Time: 40 mins

Pineapple topping (put on bottom of buttered 9×9 pan)
Stir together
4 Tbsp melted butter and 1/2 cup Splenda and Xylitol mixture, spoon onto bottom of pan
Place sliced pineapple on top of the sweet butter mixture.(we used almost the entire pineapple!)

Cake batter:
cream together:
1/3 c soft butter
1/2 cup granulated Splenda (I cut back a bit on the Splenda and mixed in a couple Tbsp Xylitol too)
1 egg
then add:
1 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp maple flavor
In separate bowl, stir together:
1 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Pour dry into wet ingredients and mix.
Pour batter on top of pineapple

Bake at 350 for 40 mins
Let sit for 15 mins, pop upside down on plate, and serve!

Tip: this cake gets yummier as it cools, so even though the smell is tempting you to dig into it immediately, restrain yourself!! haha!
Tip: you can also add 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut to the sweetened butter mixture on the bottom of the pan, this adds a lovely little twist!

Tip: make it into COFFEE CAKE by adding in a cup of chopped pecans or walnuts to the sweet mixture on the bottom πŸ™‚ Instead of putting it on the bottom, you can butter your pan, pour the cake batter in and spoon the sugary mixture on the top. This is ALSO very yummy! πŸ™‚

**This recipe entered in these great linky parties: Covered in GraceΒ  / Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange at Little House on the Prairie LivingΒ  /Β  the Shabby Creek CottageΒ  /Β  A Little Knick knack /Β  Live Laugh Rowe

About Christine

I'm a bit of a health nut and not ashamed of it! God, family and Missions are huge passions and driving forces in my life. I have had fibromyalgia for most of my life and am in the process of a treatment that is gonna give me my life back! Join me in my journey to wellness, make some new friends and maybe encourage someone else along the way!
This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Sugar free pineapple upside down cake Recipe (NOT HG Diet)

1. Mary Moore says:

I thought pineapple was not HG friendly?

You are absolutely right Mary!! Good job in catching that! You also can’t have the CAKE part! I put on there that it’s not low carb, and I purposely DIDN’T put Hypoglycemia Diet on it because it’s NOT! ha! This recipe is for AFTER your 2 months doing the diet absolutely perfectly. For us, we have it in the place of a sugary birthday cake with icing πŸ˜› Once a year, I figure it can’t hurt too badly πŸ™‚
      You can try it without the pineapple, there is a variation in the tips section that makes it a coffee cake. But- it’s still NOT HG because of the flour to make the cake!

2. Mary says:

You should try coconut flour. It needs more moisture though. I bake cookies with it. And almond flour, too. Supposedly you can use Carbquik, but I haven’t tried a cake recipe yet.

oooh, I bet Carbquik would make this cake do-able on the HG Diet!! Mind you, we can’t have pineapple, so would have to be something else, but still, YUM! what a great idea, thank you Mary! <3

3. Tina says:

Any reason you use the “pineapple topping” instead of sliced pineapples? I have never made pineapple upside down cake before but I got a request from my father in law to make it for Thanksgiving and I’m looking for recipes. All the recipes I found so far use sliced pineapple at the bottom of the pan.

oh! My pineapple topping IS sliced Pineapple! I use almost a full fresh pineapple on the bottom of this little cake, the pineapple is TOTALLY what makes this cake delicious! I have never used canned sliced pineapple, if that’s what you are wondering πŸ™‚ THere is alot of loss of flavor and texture when it gets canned, but I’, sure that would be good too! Just dont use as much sweetener πŸ™‚
      I am sure he will LOVE it!! Happy Thanksgiving btw πŸ™‚

4. Anonymous says:

You should try stevia – it’s a healthy natural sugar-subsititute Unlike Splenda which will eventually destroy your gut. See http://www.mercola.com and search splenda or the topic sugar…

Hello πŸ™‚ Yep, I tried Stevia several years ago, before the guaifenesin protocol, and it is NOT good stuff, so bitter, I never could figure out the amounts right and ruined alot of dishes with it. Good thing I don’t like it, because I can’t have it on the Guaifenesin Protocol πŸ™‚

I love the Xylitol and Splenda mixture, so much like sugar in texture and flavor πŸ™‚

Oh yes! I love Dr Mercola, he has alot of great info! I probably use Splenda in someone maybe once every 2 – 3 weeks. I don’t eat sweats everyday, so I don’t worry about it. If you plan on making and eating this every day, I think you would want to use all Xylitol, but even then, that’s not good for you!

5. KGN says:

I know we all have some taboo foods and sugar is a killer for so many. I recently read when Splenda is used in baking the composition turns carcinogenic. Check out the “Food Babe” web site.
    I have learned a lot about chemicals in our food from her.😊