Tea, Coffee and Salicylates

Coffee is FINE on the protocol to drink! BUT! If you are Carb Intolerant/ Hypoglycemic you cannot have coffee, (unless it’s decaf)! Click HERE for a bunch of info on coffee and caffeine from Claudia Merek (co-author of What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia) Caffeine is an ingredient in alot of products out there now, and it is fine topically, but be careful with coffee topically! SOME coffees have sals in them while others don’t so my suggestion is to not risk it topically!

So, I am HUUUGE fan of tea, and I KNOW what a huge sacrifice it isΒ  to give it up to go on the Guaifenesin Protocol! When I started the protocol I had nobody to give me some of these ideas, I had to come up with them on my own so I hope it helps!

If you are wondering what the trouble is with tea:

Dr St Amand now advises NO TEA on the Guaifenesin Protocol. I think it is the tea leaves that are dried and concentrated to make tea that is the trouble. It’s too much salicylate. It’s not a normal food amount. We would not normally eat that much leaves that are in a tea bag when they are fresh, prior to drying and concentrating them! Frankly, sounds gross to me! lol πŸ˜€

Here are some options for ya:

What I do is put some berries or lemon in hot water. Let the berries steep for a bit, it works better with frozen berries, you get more flavor for some reason. Add some sweetener if you need to, it’s very yummy!! Strawberry is my fav, but raspberries are super yummy with sweetener! There ARE options!!Mix and match them, add some fresh ginger root in there, and/ or a cinnamon stick. I’ve seen people put cucumber and all kinds of things in it! πŸ˜›

I also make a homemade steamer (Hot milk, sweetened and flavored) that is SO YUMM too! (click for link)

And check out my Mock Tea ideas for more options! πŸ™‚

Try out Jello tea. That is made with hot water and just a few teaspoons of Jello stirred in (to taste.) This would work with sugar free Jello as well for the HG diet πŸ™‚ If you try it, let me know how it tastes I haven’t tried it yet! πŸ™‚

Consider this for a moment:

What is the reason you started drinking tea anyways? I had to admit to myself that a large reason was the health benefits I thought I was getting from it. But, what was the motivation for getting the health benefits? Why did you feel you needed it? Because you are SICK! you have Fibromyalgia! The Guaifenesin Protocol will reverse the symptoms so that you no longer feel sick. This to me is SO much more important than any health benefits gained from tea!! πŸ™‚

I find I actually want tea less and less as it stresses me out so much now when I have it! haha! The WHOLE time, I am thinking to myself… “self, put more milk in there, maybe it will water it down enough to not block. no no, use more water. no no, eat lots of food with it. no no, just drink tons of water during and after…” lol and the stressing goes on and on. I seriously have to catch myself SO many times!! LOL πŸ˜€

Click this link to see the list of:Β  FAQ about Salicylates etc πŸ™‚

About Christine

I'm a bit of a health nut and not ashamed of it! God, family and Missions are huge passions and driving forces in my life. I have had fibromyalgia for most of my life and am in the process of a treatment that is gonna give me my life back! Join me in my journey to wellness, make some new friends and maybe encourage someone else along the way!
This entry was posted in me and fibromyalgia, Salicylates and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Tea, Coffee and Salicylates

1. Cynthia Pieslak says:

What do you think of Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride – side states nutrition facts -Ingredients: Milk Thistle, Roasted Barley, Orange Peel, Natural Sugar Cookie Flavor with other natural flavors and Vanilla Bean. Really takes like a sugar cookie.

Cynthia, Milk Thistle is very high in Salicylates, so I would say no, sorry πŸ™
      Have you looked up Teecchino coffees? Just stick to the coffee ones, and check ingredients too! But the ones I looked at look pretty good πŸ™‚ There’s even a Chai flavored one πŸ™‚

2. Marsha says:

Hi Christine, I love your website. This morning I tried the steeped frozen blueberreis. It’s not as good as Celestial Seasons Blueberry tea. I got used to tea instead of coffee, I’m sue I’ll get used to this. How many blueberries do you use?
    I wonder if blending the fruit would release more flavor? I tried crushing them, and I’m not sure I like having chunks in my “tea”. LOL
    I added some Truvia, and then remembered what Claudia said about some sweeteners having carbs. Ugg Its got 3 carbs per pkt. So, I’ll use Splenda on the next cup. I also remember you saying that if we have HG, which I do, then we can’t have more than 1/2 cup of fruit every 4 hours.

Hey Marsha! thank you! πŸ™‚ and Yes, you are totally getting it!! πŸ™‚ I find the blueberries dont have as much flavor, so I only use those in a pinch. my favorite is the strawberry or raspberry. But raspberries go really well with blueberries, maybe you could pop in one or 2 raspberries to bring out the flavor? blueberries are pretty sweet, you likely wouldnt need sweetener. Try Xylitol maybe? It has the least carbs of all the sweeteners and is much better for you πŸ™‚ Just make sure to use only a small amount!

The trick with the drinks is that tartness, it’s what you will mostly taste. And you have to steep longer than just a tea bag. I wait a good 5-10mins before drinking it.

It iS a big change, but you will find your groove and as you begin to see improvements in your health, these things will seriously not matter any more! YAY! πŸ˜€

3. Marsha says:

Claudia said that decaff coffee is fine, if your HG, which I am. I’ve just got some swiss process decaff, And I’m loving it.

Thanks for catching that Marsha! πŸ™‚ I added that to my post πŸ™‚ I can’t even have decaf, the tiny bit of caffeine in it gives me unreal hot flashes and cold sweats! weird hey?!

4. shana says:

Good information. Thank you

5. Kim Speaker says:

Tea means tea (leaves and buds) from the Camellia sinensis plant, and it includes white, black, green, yellow, oolong and Pu-erh tea (Chinese). The maturity of the leaves and processing are what make each tea different but they all come from the same plant.