Types of Guaifenesin for the Protocol

Fibro Pharmacy Guaifenesin

There is much to be said about the different Guaifenesins, and it can be a bit confusing, here is some info on the Guaifenesin that is appropriate for the protocol:

FA: Fast Acting. Also known as Short Acting and Immediate Release. (the kind you can take later on to speed things along, but not sufficient by itself for the protocol.)

LA: Long Acting. Also known as Extended Release (the kind you need to clear on the protocol.)

ok, here are the different brands that work for the Guaifenesin Protocol:

MDR/Fibro Pharmacy Guai (Marina Del Ray Guaifenesin) is in capsules and has Long Acting/Extended Release and also the Fast Acting/ Immediate Release ones. This is your best option for guaifenesin right now unless you live in Canada. It is a good one to start on, as it is reliable and been used for a long long time, They have different kids of capsules, and right now I believe they are using the vegetarian caps, which are easier on our tummies :). Click here to go to purchase at MDR.Ā

Generic guai (Updated 9/18/17) (found at pharmacies all over like in Walmart and Walgreens) is back in stores and the new ones do not have blue dye! YAY! Make sure you only buy the ones without blue dye since Dr St Amand has seen stalling in clearing from blue dye. Also, They do have some FA/IR in it which makes us need to dose this guai 3x a day instead of the 2x a day like the MDR/FibroPharmacy guai. (Used to be made by Perrigo, but not the new generic ones) Always look for 12 hour and Extended Release on the bottle.

Guai Aid (updated 9/19/17) Guai aid has had a bad rap for alot of years for being all FA/IR. A trusted source has contacted the company and tested out their product for 6 months on more than one person, being mapped by a trained, reliable mapper, and found the 300mg and 600mg Long Acting enough for the protocol. They don’t last the full 12 hours, so need to dose 3x a day instead of 2x a day. Much like generic guai. Make sure you buy the 300mg and 600mg as these are the LA ones. The 200mg and 400mg are only FA, do not use these for the protocol. This is WONDERFUL news for everyone, as this is the cheapest alternative out there.

**Please note that Dr St Amand is now suggesting Mucinex is not appropriate for the protocol due to the blue dye.

Mucinex is the one that we use if there is nothing else. there is a 25% rate of failure to clear using Mucinex, AND with the 100mg FA layer on it, you only get 500mg LA. The FA layer makes it difficult to find your clearing dose because it hits the body hard and fast and can mimic cycling. Many people also do not clear on this brand because of the blue dye that is in it too.Ā  You can find this in many pharmacies around the world. Pro Health is one brand that is basically Mucinex- with the two layers of FA and LA šŸ™‚ Check out this post for more info on: taking Mucinex for the Guaifenesin Protocol.

Estevan Guai is AWESOME but only available for those living in Canada. Long Acting Pure Guaifenesin through Estevan Pharmacy, Victoria BC. Speak with Kyle. Phone number: 1 250 598 2517 He is very kind but will have a lot of questions, he will treat you like his own patient. He sells both LA and FA in many sizes šŸ™‚ He does ask for a prescription, so keep that in mind.

German Guaifenesin MC is a bit of a mystery since we can’t get a straight answer from the pharmacist who makes them. But some in Germany are using this guaifenesin successfully when dosed 3x a day instead of the twice a day as the MDR/Fibro Pharmacy guaifenesin. German LA guai has Guaifenesin MC as the name. MC stands for methylcellulose which causes the guai to become Long Acting . It comes in 150mg MC, 300mg MC, 450mg MC. If it does not have MC beside the name, then it is Fast Acting and not good for the protocol. This is the website for ordering the Guaifenesin MC: http://husarenshop.de/

The trouble is mostly at the beginning, the first couple months of titrating your dose to find your clearing dose. Click for:Ā  Steps to Find Your Clearing Dose.

In the end, everyone is so different and will respond differently to the different brands.

So, any more thoughts on these different guai’s?

Check out my list of other: FAQ for the Guaifenesin Protocol and Salicylates šŸ™‚
Walmart Mucinex

Walmart Mucinex

Guaifenesin CVS Pharmacy

Guaifenesin CVS Pharmacy

Guaifenesin Walgreens

Guaifenesin Equate

Guaifenesin perrigo

Fibro Pharmacy Guaifenesin

Fibro Pharmacy Guaifenesin

About Christine

I'm a bit of a health nut and not ashamed of it! God, family and Missions are huge passions and driving forces in my life. I have had fibromyalgia for most of my life and am in the process of a treatment that is gonna give me my life back! Join me in my journey to wellness, make some new friends and maybe encourage someone else along the way!
This entry was posted in me and fibromyalgia and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Types of Guaifenesin for the Protocol

1. Larry says:

Diane,

Dr. St. Amand said I should use time-release (Mucinex) so that the level of guai in my bloodstream stays roughly constant. And he said that my choice was to accept worse symptoms when starting guai, with reduced symptoms later, or to accept that the symptoms would grow worse over time, making it harder to start guai in order to reverse them. It’s a tough choice when the immediate effect of guai is disabling. But the worse symptoms didn’t last that long for me before it started getting better.

I get mapped every few years (whenever I happen to be in the LA area), but I can tell that the nodes in my neck/shoulders are smaller than they were. Massaging them seems to help (although it hurts to do it) when I get severe headaches — fortunately not very common any more. Aches & pains, trouble sleeping & brain fog are my current biggest problems.

Larry

2. Larry says:

I do my best to avoid salicylates. E.g. I used to eat a lot of bananas, but I replaced them with a different fruit since they have a higher than usual concentration of salysilates. I also avoid sun blocker with salicylates etc. Dr. St Amand said that he thinks the reason one of the broad studies failed is that they didn’t eliminate enough salycylate sources, e.g. in makeup.

My oldest brother has much worse fibro than I do — he is even more agressive about avoiding salicylates. They occur naturally in so much food, but I settle for avoiding foods with high concentrations, or products (like mint flavor) that have high concentrations. BTW, both my parents & both my brothers (and both my sons) have fibro. We are one of the first families Dr. St Amand studied, long before he discovered that guai could clear it.

• Diane says:

Thanks for your patience and information. Is there an official list of foods? I have found a couple but they don’t agree or have lots of missing foods. Thoughts? I am trying too avoid high one like you. Plus all products.
      Diane

• Diane says:

I have lost too much weight and need to gain some back. šŸ™‚

3. Janine says:

Yes, it would be great if there was an extensive list of things we can have. Then we can just pick from the list things to eat and buy for the household.

• Larry says:

I don’t have an exhaustive list. But generally speaking, here’s how I decide what I can eat or use:

– skin creams, makeup, suntan lotion etc.: check the ingredients list, it should say if it has salicylates.Quite a few do, but some don’t.

– Fruit: mostly low salicylates but bananas have higher levels & I avoid them

– mint flavor (including in toothpaste): No! Mint flavors are concentrated & high in salicylates

– Herb tea: no, herbs all have salicylates.Regular tea is fine.

– Herbs in cooking (e.g. basil/oregano in spaghetti sauce): I accept this much salicylates, but my brother with much more severe fibro avoids even cooking with herbs

Hey you three!! šŸ™‚ Thanks for taking the time to help out here Larry!
        So, things have changed quite a bit since you started the protocol! Having the benefit of Dr St Amands help gives you the ability to not be as careful as everyone else needs to be with salicylates however.

So, for anyone not being mapped by a mapper trained by Dr St Amand, you will need to stay away from all topical salicylates, this includes any plant ingredient other than CROWS: Corn, Rice, Oat, Wheat, Soy, THose are the only plant ingredients that are safe for the guaifenesin protocol. You also need to check all your vitamins, etc. Please check out this post for a full list and info on how to figure out what stuff to avoid: http://christinescozycorner.ca/salicylate-free-check-list/ please note, this is for the guaifenesin protocol. We CAN have sal-full foods to eat in normal food amounts. Exceptions are mint and any teas including black tea.

If you go juicing veggies and fruits though, that is a concentrated amount of salicylates and will block the guaifenesin from working <3 Here's more on Normal Food Amounts for the protocol: http://christinescozycorner.ca/faq-what-are-normal-food-amounts/

4. Janine says:

So I read that the blue bi-layer on Mucinex can block…I don’t know if I am one that won’t do well with that. I’ve been taking guaifenesin for over a year for respiratory reasons. Had no idea that it was why I have been feeling better. But I would rather find guaifenesin without the dye. All I’ve been able to find in the ER has 1200 mg. My insurance pays for it, so I want to be able to get it from Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, or Riteaide…None have the 600 mg ER other than Mucinex.

Will 1200 mg twice a day hurt me in anyway?

• Larry says:

Delayed release (e.g. Mucinex bi-layer pills) are what Dr. St Amand recommends. Alas, I’ve never been able to get insurance to pay for them.

I’m sure no one here is a doctor, to tell you what is safe for you to do. But drugs.com says that 2.4g/day is OK for adults if taken either in many small dosages or using time-release. Specifically (but see also their list of side effects):

Usual Adult Dose of Guaifenesin for Cough:

Immediate release formulation: 200 to 400 mg orally every 4 hours as needed, not to exceed 2.4 g/day

Sustained release formulation: 600 to 1200 mg orally every 12 hours, not to exceed 2.4 g/day

• Larry says:

Let me clarify: long acting is what he has always recommended for me, and he said Mucinex was fine for me — but I’ve been on the program for a very long time. Next time I need guai, I’ll try the MDR — for some reason I wasn’t able to get it when I tried a few years ago, but the link at the top makes it easy to buy — and it’s at a pretty good price, too.

Thanks for clarifying Larry!
          Yes, Dr St Amand used to recommend Mucinex but no longer does. There are several reasons for this. here’s my post on it: http://christinescozycorner.ca/taking-mucinex-for-the-guaifenesin-protocol-some-things-you-need-to-know/

HOWEVER! If you are being mapped by him and doing well clearing, I wouldn’t change a thing!! It’s certainly cheaper than MDR/ FIbro Pharmacy guaifenesin and that FA layer helps with the citochrome issue that can happen in some people.

The Blue dye is a toxin and may be keeping you from feeling as well as you could, so maybe giving the MDR guai a try is a good idea, and if you notice no difference, stick with Mucinex! I wish everyone could use Mucinex because of how easily it is available to everyone and is cheaper! But MDR is a good brand that does work and no blue dye is a good thing as well as not having the FA is a good thing if you are trying to find your clearing dose without a mapper.

oh and I should also mention that as per Dr St Amand, the dose for starting guaifenesin to find your clearing dose on the Guaifenesin Protocol- here’s a post on the steps to help you easily get there: http://christinescozycorner.ca/steps-to-finding-your-correct-guaifenesin-dosage-for-the-protocol/
        hope that helps! <3 thanks for the discussion guys! šŸ™‚

5. Fibro Gal says:

Hi Christine,
    I started the protocol October 2016 and used the CVS brand guaifenesin and was starting to clear by Mid November. By December I was taking 2400 mg. Two weeks ago when I went to purchase my guaifenesin the manager said that it’s been discontinued. I started taking mucinex but it wasn’t working. Now I’ve ordered from MDR pharmacy 600mg and started on Thursday Feb 2 with one 600mg in the morning and 1200mg in the evening. Yesterday I decided to take 1200 mg in morning and an hour later I had diarrhea (sorry tmi). I’m not sure if it’s the mdr guaifenesin because I never had problems with the cvs guaifenesin.
    Don’t know what to do because right when I was feeling great they discontinue the cvs guaifenesin that helped me so much.

Hi Fibro Gal! šŸ™‚
      Yes, the discontinuation of the generic guai is a huge blow to many on the protocol, sorry you are one of those šŸ™
      MDR pharmacy guai is really the best one to take, I’m glad you stopped the Mucinex and are taking MDR! So, MDR and generic guai have the same amount of LA guai in there, so you might just have caught a flu bug! If the guai is giving you tummy trouble, take with food and that should settle things down for ya. You should start to feel great on the MDR soon too! Hang in there!! <3 hugs!